Want to improve your home’s outdoor entertaining potential? Consider re-designing your porch or patio. Take advantage of the additional space right outside your door with a few inexpensive DIY touches. Friends and family will clamor for an invite.
Start with a Redesign Plan
Revving up a lackluster porch or patio doesn’t need to be a budget buster. Simple changes can create cozy dining and lounging spaces or much needed privacy. Once you make three basic decisions, you’re well on your way to creating a kick butt game plan for your re-design:
- Purpose – How do you want your space to function? An outdoor dining area, a relaxing retreat, or a place for kids to play?
- Budget – How much do you want to spend? There are plenty of DIY projects to help stretch money well spent.
- Design – Do you want a Mediterranean terrace or a rustic retreat? Your personal design style will determine this.
Expand Entertaining Spaces
If your porch or patio is small, “expand” the space. Start by creating a sitting area on your existing porch and expand outward onto a brick patio or additional deck to form a separate dining space. Have your outdoor living spaces flow into each other like they do inside your home. Incorporate your garden into the design to provide additional conversation areas for your guests.
Easy Maintenance Depends on Choice of Materials
Upkeep should be factored into your design. Keep maintenance needs to a minimum with your choice of materials (composite decking, pressure treated lumber). Clean up and repairs should be the least of your worries. You want a relaxing space where you can enjoy family and friends.
Add Drama to Delight
Sprucing up your existing porch or patio doesn’t require much in the way of expensive construction. You can add new elements in only a weekend. These design ideas will get you thinking of ways to spice things up:
- Install a snow cone machine – that plugs into an outdoor wall socket and ramps up your kids’ playtime
- Add a pergola – for a hint of shade and visual interest.
- Use privacy screens – such as trellises, lattice fences or Asian inspired panels that will keep looky-loos at bay.
- Hang curtains – to give a luxurious feel to the space and to divide areas.
- Paint the porch floor – using bright stain colors or paint a pattern for interest.
- Bring in a vertical garden – with flower boxes mounted on bare outside walls.
- Add unusual lighting – such as work lighting for the grill, a candle-filled chandelier for a romantic touch or tiki torches for a tropical touch.
- Install a built-in bench – and add seating plus storage, all in one.
- Use a two-in-one table – that converts into a fire pit when dining is done.
- Decorate with bright pillows and cushions – use mildew resistant fabric for easy cleaning and durability.
Make Your Yard into an Inviting Oasis
Your outdoor space is an extension of your home. Envision how you would like your style to flow from the inside all the way to the outside. Avoid blocking inside views by looking out a window or sliding glass door at the porch or patio. With a fresh facelift, your porch or patio can become an inviting oasis for your guests and possibly your favorite room of your home!
From circular saws and drills to shovels and ladders, our expert staff is always on hand to help you find the right equipment for your next home DIY project. Adding a new patio but not sure how to go about it? Read How to Build a Patio for helpful tips on what tools and materials you will need. As always, if you have any questions about what to choose, pricing or how-to’s, don’t hesitate to contact us. Stop by our store — we’re open seven days a week.