An auto floor scrubber is one of the quickest and most efficient tools for cleaning a hard floor surface. It takes much less effort than going over the floor with a mop and bucket. Instead of moving the dirt around like a mop, an auto floor scrubber cleans and lifts the dirt off the floor, leaving the floor cleaner. The best way to get your floor cleaner faster is to use an auto floor scrubber. A 20” auto floor scrubber can clean up to 23,000 square feet per hour.
Floor Scrubber Preparation
- Fully charge the floor scrubber – Most auto floor scrubbers will run between 2 ½ to 4 hours on a full charge. While that may sound like a short time, if you prepare the area to be cleaned, you should be able to clean between 50,000 to 70,000 sq. ft. with a single charge. It may take 6 to 8 hours to fully charge again for the next usage.
- Connect all hoses – Also make sure that all of the hoses are connected to the device, as is the squeegee.
- Check for leaks/damages – Get any leaks/damages repaired before you use your floor scrubber.
- Follow instructions – Every floor scrubber model comes with a set of instructions on the right amount of chemical to be used. A neutral cleaning solution should be used on finished (waxed) floors and marble floors. A heavy-duty de-greaser can be used in industrial plants and warehouses with concrete floors.
- Fill the tank – Fill in the solution tank with some clean water.
- Using pad/brush – Choose the correct pad or brush that will suit your floor and mount this on the bottom portion of the deck. You would want to use a less aggressive pad, such as a white or red pad on high gloss floors, which would include finished (waxed) floors and marble floors. An aggressive pad such as a brown or black would be used on concrete floors. By rule of thumb, pads are for smooth surfaces and brushes for rougher, uneven floors with grout lines to clean.
The Process to Operate a Auto Floor Scrubber
- Prep your work area: Put up the caution board applicable to alert those around. Take away any obstructions such as furniture that can come in the way of a thorough job.
- Dust the area: Dust mop the area to get rid of any debris. If anything does remain on the floor you run a chance of ruining your machine. Trash can get trapped under the squeegee and leave water streaks.
- Start cleaning from the outer radius: Begin using the machine close to the wall, or the outer boundary of the space you are cleaning. Each pass you make should be a sweeping turn with a wide radius. This allows the squeegee to pull up all the solution that was laid out.
- Clean the room in halves: Work the room by dividing it in half, instead of going straight from one boundary to the other. Working in divisions allows you to make optimum use of your time.
- Repeat the process for grubby floors: If at this point you feel the floors could do with another round of scrubbing, especially since some floors can be extremely grubby, and then follow the same process by dividing the floor into portions, from one boundary to the next.
- Use a mop for inaccessible spots: If there are spots that you cannot reach, then you will have to get to it with a mop and a bucket.
- Arrange the room once dry: Make sure that the floor is dry before you get to remove the “wet floor” signs all over. Once done, gradually move back all the objects that you moved out of the way.
Once you are done with the process you need to take the auto scrubber to a floor drain or slop sink. In most cases a floor auto scrubber will have a dump hose that you can empty out. This is especially important if you have just recovered caustic or stripping agents. While the drain hose is open and draining, take a water hose and hose out the inside of the recovery tank until clean water is coming out the drain hose. Commercial auto floor scrubbers and the supplies that go with them can be found here.
About the Author
Jack Runyon is the president of Runyon Equipment Rental. He has 21 years of rental experience, as the 3rd generation son to carry on the family tradition and his grandfather’s vision. He prides the company for its devotion to ethics, quality products and customer service. Jack is known for his passion and vast expertise.